Saturday, September 20, 2008

Definition

I found this definition of dwarfism on the Mayo Clinic website. Dwarfism is short stature that results from a medical condition. Dwarfism is generally defined as an adult height of 4 feet 10 inches or less. The most typical range in adult height among people with dwarfism is 2 feet 8 inches to 4 feet 8 inches.

I know how difficult it is for me being 4'11". I can't imagine what it would be like to be shorter still. I have had people call me "midget". For dwarfs, this is considered derogatory.

There are two types of dwarfism: disproportionate and proportionate. Disproportionate is where the head is bigger, but they have short arms and limbs. Proportionate results from medical conditions at birth. The proportionate has everything of small but average proportions relative to each other. They usually have a growth hormone deficiency. This says that it could be an adult up to 5 foot tall. Hmmm! Maybe I am a dwarf. Whether I am or not doesn't matter. How I feel about myself is what is important. Little people are special too.

They say that children with dwarfism are subject to ridicule and teasing (bullying) and those people may feel isolated from their peers.

I found this website for help http://www.lpaonline.org/mc/page.do

No comments: