Monday, September 22, 2008

Wiggling and Weaving and venting

I guess I am trying to do this at the same time.
I have a lot of good information.
I really want more people to have a better understanding of short people.

When I was 16, I worked at Ponderosa. Then, they had a cafeteria like line. Everyone wanted to be behind the line serving customers, me included. Otherwise, we had to bus tables. I kept noticing other people who were hired after me getting put on the line. Finally, I asked the manager why I did not get to serve customers behind the line? He told me because I was too short. He had already decided I couldn't handle it. Well, I gave my two week notice and quit. I went to a lower paying job. I did not like it one bit being discriminated against and not given a chance.

I thank God everyday I am the height I am and yet I wonder how difficult it must be for those shorter than me who are adults. Being prejudice against short people is the same as being prejudice against race, gender, obese and yes, even skinny people. I have a friend who I work with who has said she gets tired of people remarking on how skinny she is and how lucky she doesn't gain any weight (great metabolism). Anyway, we need to understand that people are special no matter what shape or size or color or nationality they are.

No comments: